WORK WITH US
We are always looking for inspirational and talented people, passionate about helping children to succeed to join our team.
Coach with us
Connections in Mind is recruiting more freelance executive function coaches! Connections in Mind is an organisation focused on supporting students to improve executive function skills such as planning, prioritising, time management, organisation, emotional regulation and metacognition. Children who have ADHD, autism, dyspraxia and dyslexia often struggle with these skills as well as many children who don’t have a formal diagnosis, but who struggle nonetheless. Through coaching we try to support these children to reach their potential academically and to support their self-esteem and well-being.
Our executive function coaches typically work with 3 or 4 young people at a time normally for 2 hrs 40 mins a week with each child, depending on their needs (most of our coaches also do other work outside of coaching). The working hours will be usually in the late afternoons/evenings and weekends. Each child’s 2 hrs 40 minute weekly programme is made up of a 1 hour face to face session and 4 x 20 minute video calls and 20 minutes admin/ emailing parents. The face to face sessions are what we call a skills session where the coach works on helping the child to develop bespoke strategies for a particular skill – i.e. filling notes. The video calls, which we call check-ins, help to scaffold embedding the new habits. You and the family will establish times that work for both of you, but consistency is important. If you are going on holiday you need to give a month’s notice, but we would encourage you to try and take holidays during the school holidays. We also operate an annual shutdown in the first two weeks of August to give coaches and students time to relax.
Training & Sponsorship:
We ask you to attend a free 3hr workshop to learn about coaching with us and to see if we think you are a good fit to coach with us. Exceptional candidates who do not have an Executive Function Coach qualification may then be offered a sponsored place on the Executive Function Coach, Level 1: Core Skills Training course offered by The Connections in Mind Foundation. Candidates will then attend a free follow up 5 hr intake course before enrolling as a freelance coach with Connections in Mind.
As part of our commitment to excellence and continued professional development we also ask that each coach attend twice monthly supervision of 15 minutes per student they are working with as well as a monthly 1 hour peer supervision with a group of 4 – 5 other CiM Coaches. They are also required to attend a 1 hour monthly webinar on a relevant topic; these webinars are held at 8pm on the first Monday of every month. Our CPD time is seen as our investment in our coaches professional development and is unpaid.
Connections in Mind only recruits exceptional coaches to work in our freelance team. Coaches who work with us are committed to working with young people and passionately believe that children with special educational needs can meet and exceed their potential. They go above and beyond every day to help young people meet their goals.
- Dedicated and passionate about supporting children with learning and emotional challenges to succeed.
- Minimum of 5 years experience working with children and young people in an educational or therapeutic setting, preferably experience supporting children with additional learning needs.
- Master’s degree or higher in Education, Psychology or related field required. Candidates with an undergraduate degree in these areas will also be considered if they have particularly strong work experience.
- Before starting, coaches must attend executive function coach training provided by The Connections in Mind Foundation and have reached basic executive function coaching accreditation (we sponsor exceptional candidates to complete this training).
- Coaches must be available to participate in CPD supervisions (as detailed above).
- We expect coaches to attend a monthly webinar for professional development.
- Coaches must be comfortable with technology including email, google drive, use of an online database, various study websites, apps, and platforms like Google Hangouts and Skype.
The application / training process
We only recruit a small number of coaches every term; we will only select candidates who we feel have the potential to make excellent executive function coaches.
- Application stage: please email your CV
- Deadline 16th September
- Online interviews: 30 minutes with a Trainer, via Skype or Zoom.
- 3 hr free workshop to learn more about executive function coaching and The Connections in Mind Foundation
- 2 day training course & examination. £600 (sponsored places available for exceptional candidates) 25th and 26th September
- 5hr free training course for CiM coaches
Our next dates will be:
24th January 2019 –Workshop 6pm-9pm
4th & 5th of February 2019-Level 1: Core Skills Training – 9am – 4:30pm –
Equal Opportunity Employer
Connections in Mind is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, colour, religion, creed, sex, age, marital status, national origin, mental or physical disability, political belief or affiliation, veteran status, or sexual orientation and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination under state or federal law in any aspect of the access to, admission, or treatment of students in its programs and activities, or in employment and application for employment. Furthermore, Connections in Mind policy includes prohibitions of harassment of students and employees, i.e., racial harassment, sexual harassment, and retaliation for filing complaints of discrimination.
For consideration, please fill out our application form. Training Application Form